Barbara J. Smith
Research Plant Pathologist
1. Smith, B. J. and J. M. Spiers. 1982. Evaluating techniques for screening strawberry seedlings for resistance to Colletotrichum fragariae. Plant Disease 66:559 561.
2. Smith, B. J. and L. L. Black. 1986. First report of Colletotrichum acutatum on strawberry in the United States. Plant Disease 70:1074.
3. Smith, B. J. and L. L. Black. 1987. Resistance of strawberry plants to Colletotrichum fragariae affected by environmental conditions. Plant Disease 71:834 837.
4. Marroquin, E., F. B. Matta, C. H. Graves, Jr., and B. J. Smith. 1990. Association between blackberry flower bud development and fungal growth of Cercosporella rubi. J. of MS Academy of Sciences 35:31 33.
5. Marroquin, E., F. B. Matta, C. H. Graves, Jr., and B. J. Smith. 1990. Comparison of four bioassay methods for in vitro efficacy of fungicides for control of Cercosporella rubi. J. of MS Academy of Sciences 35: 35 38.
6. Marroquin, E., F. B. Matta, C. H. Graves, Jr., and B. J. Smith. 1990. Effect of fungicides on rosette (Cercosporella rubi) disease control in 'Cheyenne' blackberry. J. of MS Academy of Sciences 35:39 40.
7. Marroquin, E., F. B. Matta, C. H. Graves, Jr., and B. J. Smith. 1990. Relationship between flower/fungal development in blackberry infected with Cercosporella rubi. HortScience 25:1448.
8. Smith, B. J. and L. L. Black. 1990. Morphological, cultural, and pathogenic variation among Colletotrichum species isolated from strawberry. Plant Disease 74:69 76.
9. Smith, B. J., L. L. Black, and G. J. Galletta. 1990. Resistance to Colletotrichum fragariae in strawberry affected by seedling age and inoculation method. Plant Disease 74:1016 1021.
10. Gupton, C. L. and B. J. Smith. 1991. Inheritance of resistance to Colletotrichum species in strawberry. J. Amer. Soc. Hort. Sci. 116:724 727.
11. Smith, B. J. and L. L. Black. 1991. Greenhouse efficacy of fungicides for control of anthracnose crown rot of strawberry. Pages 221 223 in The Strawberry into the 21st Century, A. Dale and J. Lubby, eds. Timber Press, 280p.
12. Smith, B. J. and J. A. Fox. 1991. Rosette. Pages 13 15 in: Compendium of Raspberry and Blackberry Diseases and Insects. M. A. Ellis et al., eds. APS Press, St. Paul, MN, 100 pages.
13. Smith, B. J. and L. L. Black. 1992. In vitro activity of fungicides against Colletotrichum fragariae. Acta Horticulturae 348:509 512.
14. Smith, B. J. and C. L. Gupton. 1993. Calcium applications before harvest affects the severity of anthracnose fruit rot greenhouse grown strawberries. Acta Horticulturae 348:477 482.
15. Smith, B. J. and T. C. Lockley. 1993. Control of red imported fire ant in blueberries with fenoxycarb. J. of Entomol. Sci. 28:236 239.
16. Galletta, G. J., Smith, B. J. and Gupton, C. L. 1993. Strawberry parent clones US70, US159. US292, and US438 resistant to anthracnose crown rot. HortSci.28:1055-1056.
17. Olien, W. C., B. J. Smith, and C. P. Hegwood. 1993. Grape Root Borer: A review of the life cycle and strategies for integrated control. HortScience 28:1154-1156.
18. Smith, B. J. and L. L. Black. 1993. In vitro fungicide studies show the occurrence of benomyl resistant Colletotrichum spp. from strawberry. Advances in Strawberry Research 12:42 48.
19. Gupton, C. L., B. J. Smith and G. J. Galletta. 1994. Breeding small fruit for disease resistance in a humid climate. Acta Horticulturae 403:131-139.
20. Harris, J. P., B. J. Smith and W. C. Olien. 1994. Activity of grape root borer (Lepidoptera:Sesiidae) in southern Mississippi. J. Economic Entomology, 87:1058-1061.
21. Kummuang, N., Smith, B. J. Diehl, S. V. and Graves, Jr., C. H. 1996. Muscadine grape berry rot diseases in Mississippi: Disease identification and incidence. Plant Disease 80:238-243.
22. Kummuang, N., Diehl, S. V., Smith, B. J. and Graves, Jr., C. H. 1996. Muscadine grape berry rot diseases in Mississippi: Disease epidemiology and crop reduction. Plant Disease 80:244-247.
23. Smith, B. J., Galletta, G. J., DeVittorio, T. J., Constantin, R. J. and Ballington, J. R. 1996. Notice of the release of Pelican, an anthracnose resistant short-day shipping strawberry for the southern United States.
24. Smith, B. J., Magee, J. B. and Gupton, C. L. 1996. Susceptibility of rabbiteye blueberry cultivars to postharvest diseases. Plant Disease 80:215-218.
25. Galletta, G. J., Maas, R. L., Finn, C. E., Smith, B. J., Gupton, C. L., Luby, J. J. and Wildung, D. K. 1997. New Strawberries from USDA Cooperative Breeding Programs. Acta Horticulturae 439:227-232.
26. Galletta, G.J., J. L. Maas, C.E. Finn, B.J. Smith & C.L. Gupton. 1997. The United States Department of Agriculture strawberry breeding program. Fruit Varieties Journal 51:204-210.
27. Magee, J. B., Smith, B. J., Gupton, C. L. and Spiers, J. M. 1997. Comparison of three new southern highbush blueberry cultivars. Acta Horticulturae 446:143-147.
28. Smith, B. J. 1997. Detached stem assay to evaluate the severity of stem blight of rabbiteye blueberry (Vaccinium ashei). Acta Horticulturae 446:457-464.
29. Smith, B. J. 1998. Botrytis blossom blight of southern blueberries: Cultivar susceptibility and effect of chemical treatments. Plant Dis. 82:924-927.
30. Smith, B. J. 1998. Anthracnose Leaf Spot and Irregular Leaf Spot. Pages 24-25 in: Compendium of Strawberry Diseases, 2nd edition. J. L. Maas, ed. American Phytopathological Society, St. Paul, MN.
31. Smith, B. J. 1998. Anthracnose Fruit Rot (Black Spot). Pages 31-33 in: Compendium of Strawberry Diseases, 2nd edition. J. L. Maas, ed. American Phytopathological Society, St. Paul, MN.
32. Smith, B. J. 1998. Anthracnose Crown Rot. Pages 46-48 in: Compendium of Strawberry Diseases, 2nd edition. J. L. Maas, ed. American Phytopathological Society, St. Paul, MN.
33. Smith, B.J., C.L. Gupton, G.J. Galletta, J.L. Maas, J.M. Enns, J.R. Ballington, Jr., R.J. Constantin, T.J. DiVittori and D. Himelrick. 1998. ‘Pelican’ Strawberry. HortSci. 33:1082-1084.
34. Gupton, C. L., and B. J. Smith. 1997. Heritablility of Rosette Resistance in Blackberry. HortScience 32:940.
35. Albibi, R., Chen, J., Banks, D., Lamikanra, O., Jarrett, R., and Smith, B. J. 1998. RAPD Fingerprinting Xylella fastidiosa Pierce’s disease strains from a vineyard in North Florida. FEMS Microbiology Letters 165:347 352.
36. Banks, D., R. Albibi, J. Chen. O. Lamikanra, R.L. Jarrett, and B.J. Smith. 1999. Specific detection of Xylella fastidiosa Pierce’s Disease strains. Current Microbiology 39:85-88.
37. Smith, B. J. 1999. Susceptibility of southern blueberry cultivars to Botrytis blossom blight. Fruit Varieties Journal 53:48-52.
38. Martin, R.R., B.J. Smith, and P.R. Bristow. 2000. Common Names of Plant Diseases: Diseases of caneberries (Rubus spp.) www.ismpminet.org/resources/common/names/canebery.asp
39. Garces, S., F. Hammerschlag, J. Maas, M. Koch-Dean and B.J. Smith. 2002. Increased resistance to Colletotrichum acutatum is exhibited by leaf explant regenerants derived from several strawberry cultivars, p 54-57. In: S. C. Hokanson and A.R. Jamieson (eds.). Strawberry Research to 2001; Proc. 5th North American Strawberry Conf., Toronto. ASHS Press, Alexandria, VA.
40. Krewer, G., Smith, B.J., Brannen, P., and Horton, D. 2001. Commercial Bramble Culture. University of Georgia Bulletin 964, 47 pages. Athens, Ga.
41. Magee, J.B., Smith, B.J., and Rimando, A. 2002. Resveratrol Content of Muscadine Berries is Affected by Disease Control Spray Program. HortScience 37:358-361.
42. Smith, B. J. 2002. Susceptibility of vegetative tissues of fruit and vegetable hosts to infection by various Colletotrichum species. Acta Hort 567:631-634.
43. Ballington, J. R., J. L. Shuman, B. J. Smith, and S. C. Hokanson. 2002. Breeding strawberries (Fragaria x ananassa) for resistance to anthracnose caused by Colletotrichum acutatum. Acta Hort. 567:89-92.
44. Smith, B.J. 2002. Susceptibility of Southern Highbush Blueberry Cultivars to Phytophthora Root Rot. Acta Hort. 574:75-79.
45. Curry, K.J., Abril, M., Avant, J.B., and Smith, B.J. 2002. Strawberry anthracnose: Histopathology of Colletotrichum acutatum and C. fragariae. Phytopathology 92:1055-1063.
46. Wedge, D.E., Curry, K.J., Boudreaux, J.E., Pace, P.F., and Smith, B.J. 2001. A Microtiter Assay Demonstrates Sensitivity and Resistance Profiles ofr Botrytis cinerea Isolates from Louisiana Strawberry Farms. Advances in Strawberry Research 20:24-30.
47. Denoyes-Rothan, B., Guerin, G., Delye, C., Smith, B., Minz, D., Maymon, M., and Freeman, S. 2002. Genetic diversity and pathogenic variability among isolates of Colletotrichum species from strawberry. Phytopathology 93:219-228.
48. Smith, B.J. and J. F. Killebrew. 2002. Epidemiology and Control of Blackberry rosette caused by the fungus Cercosporella rubi. Acta Horticulturae 585:319-323.