Dr. Mila Hojilla-Evangelista has been a Research Chemist at USDA-ARS-NCAUR, Peoria, IL, since 2001. Her scientific research career has focused on value-added products from processing of soybeans, corn, and alternative oilseed crops (lesquerella, cuphea, and pennycress). She is recognized nationally and internationally for her expertise on the chemistry, isolation, and utilization of oilseed proteins.
In 2007, Dr. Hojilla-Evangelista was the recipient of the Federal Laboratory Consortium (FLC) Award for Excellence in Technology Transfer for her research on soybean protein-based foamed plywood adhesives. Additionally, she was the recipient of 3 internationally-renowned Outstanding Paper Awards for journal articles (Cereal Chemistry Award, American Association of Cereal Chemists-Corn Refiners Association, 1990; Archer Daniels Midland Award, American Oil Chemists’ Society (AOCS), 1993 and 2003) and 5 Outstanding Paper Presentation Awards (AOCS Annual Meeting, 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, and 2004).
She is the author or co-author of more than 70 publications and presentations (30 peer-reviewed journal papers and 10 proceedings). She has made over 30 invited professional presentations on her research at national and international conferences. She has been appointed and elected to various leadership positions at the division and society levels in the AOCS and is an Associate Editor for its Journal. Dr. Hojilla-Evangelista recently served as invited guest editor of the peer-reviewed special issue on biobased adhesives for the Journal of Adhesion Science & Technology.
• Ph.D. (1990). Food Technology. Iowa State University.
• M.S. (1984). Food Science (Minor: Agricultural Engineering-Crop Processing). University of the Philippines at Los Baños.
• B.S. (Cum laude; 1980). Food Technology. University of the Philippines at Los Baños.
• Research Chemist (1997-present). Plant Polymer Research Unit. USDA, ARS, National Center for Agricultural Utilization Research. Peoria, IL
• Assistant Scientist (1994-1997). Department of Food Science & Human Nutrition. Iowa State University. Ames, IA
• Postdoctoral Research Associate (1990-1994). Department of Food Science & Human Nutrition. Iowa State University. Ames, IA
• Faculty Member (1980-1993). Institute of Food Science & Technology. University of the Philippines at Los Baños. College, Laguna, Philippines
Honors, Awards, & Recognition
2007 Award for Excellence in Technology Transfer for the Research “Soybean Protein-based Foamed Plywood Glues”, Federal Laboratory Consortium (FLC). Fort Worth, TX.
2004 Outstanding Paper Presentation Award. 95th Annual Meeting of the American Oil Chemists Society (AOCS). Cincinnati, OH.
2003 Archer Daniels Midland (ADM) Award for Best Research Paper in Protein and Co-Products, Engineering/Technology category, Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society (JAOCS). 94th Annual Meeting of the AOCS. Kansas City, MO.
2000 Outstanding Paper Presentation Award. 91st Annual Meeting of the AOCS. San Diego, CA.
1998 Outstanding Paper Presentation Award. 89th Annual Meeting of the AOCS. Chicago, IL.
1994 Outstanding Paper Presentation Award. 85th Annual Meeting of the AOCS. Atlanta, GA.
1993 ADM Award for Best Research Paper in Protein and Co-Products, Engineering and Technology category, JAOCS. 84th Annual Meeting of the AOCS. Anaheim, CA.
1991 Outstanding Paper Presentation Award. 82nd Annual Meeting of the AOCS. Chicago, IL.
1990 Outstanding Paper in Cereal Chemistry Award. Given by the Corn Refiner's Association at the 75th Annual Meeting of the American Association of Cereal Chemists. Dallas, TX.
Marquis’ Who’s Who of American Women, 25th Edition, listed since 2006.
Marquis’ Who’s Who in America, 60th Edition, listed since 2006.
Marquis’ Who’s Who in Science and Engineering, listed since 2005.
Memberships and Offices Held in Professional & Honorary Societies
• American Oil Chemists' Society. Member since 1990.
o Appointed as Associate Editor, Journal of the American Oil Chemists’ Society,
o Protein & Co-products Division. Organizer, chairperson or co-chair, various
technical sessions at the annual meeting, 1998-2014.
o Protein & Co-products Division. Elected Secretary/Treasurer, 2000-2002.
o Protein & Co-products Division. Elected Vice-chair, 2002-2004.
o Protein & Co-products Division. Elected Chairperson, 2004-2006.
o Elected as Member-at-Large to the Governing Board, 2010-2012.
o Appointed as member, Content Core Value Center Committee, 2012-2014.
• American Chemical Society. Member, 2001-2011.
o Organizer and chair, technical session on “Proteins and Co-products
Utilization,” ACS Great Lakes Regional Meeting, Peoria, IL, 2004.
• American Association of Cereal Chemists. Member, 1989-2001.
• Institute of Food Technologists. Member, 1989-2000.
• Phi Beta Delta Honor Society for International Scholars. Member, 1990. Vice-President and Program Committee Chair, 1991
• Gamma Sigma Delta National Honor Society of Agriculture. Member since 1980.
• “Composition and functional properties of protein recovered from pennycress (Thlaspi arvense L.) press cake” at the technical session on Advances in Protein and Co-products: Functionality for Food and Non-food Applications, American Oil Chemists’ Society 105th Annual Meeting, San Antonio, TX, 2014.
• “Protein in Wet-milled Corn Germ Recovered by Ultrafiltration-Diafiltration” at the technical session on Protein and Co-products of Hexane-free Oil Extraction, American Oil Chemists’ Society 104th Annual Meeting, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, 2013.
• “Effects of Seed Preparation and Oil Pressing on Milkweed (Asclepias spp.) Protein Functional Properties” at the technical session on Functional Properties of Protein and Co-Products, American Oil Chemists’ Society 102nd Annual Meeting, Cincinnati, OH, 2011.
• “Low-cost Soybean Protein Products as Extenders in Plywood Adhesives” at the technical session on Soybean Products and Uses, World Soybean Research Conference VIII, Beijing, China, 2009.
• “Extraction and Characterization of Corn Germ Proteins” at the symposium on Protein Functionality, American Oil Chemists’ Society 100th Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL, 2009.
• “Extraction and Characterization of Non-Zein Proteins in Corn Germ from Wet-milling” at the technical session on Food and Non-food Processing, 37th Annual Meeting of the United States-Japan Cooperative Program in Natural Resources (UJNR): Food and Agricultural Panel, Chicago, IL, 2008.
• “Soybean Meal: A Low-cost Product with Potential High-value Applications” at the Seminário Internacional: Soja-Recurso Renovável para Usos Industrials Não Alimentares (International Seminar-Soybean: Renewable Resource for Industrial Nonfood Utilization); organizers provided support through registration fee waiver and meals. Brazilian Corporation for Agricultural Research (EMBRAPA), National Soybean Research Center (Embrapa Soja), Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 2007.
• “Evaluation of Proteins from Alternative Crops and Soybeans for Value-added Applications” at the Food Science & Human Nutrition Spring Seminar Series, Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 2006.
• “Development of Soy Protein-based Foamed Plywood Glues” at the symposium on Non-food Applications of Proteinaceous Renewable Materials, American Chemical Society National Meeting, Philadelphia, PA, 2004.
• “Functional Properties of Protein Concentrates from Soybean and Lupin Meal Produced by Ultrafiltration-Diafiltration” at the technical session on Modification of Proteins, American Oil Chemists’ Society 95th Annual Meeting, Cincinnati, OH, 2004.
• Invited by the United Soybean Board, New Uses Council to present and participate in the Fundamental Research and Adhesives Technical Advisory Panels, Chicago, IL, 1998; San Diego, CA, 2000; Cincinnati, OH, 2004; St. Louis, MO, 2007.
• “Laboratory and Pilot-plant Performance of Soy-based Foamed Plywood Glues” at the technical session on Industrial Uses of Soy Proteins, American Oil Chemists’ Society 90th Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL, 1999.
• “Foaming Properties of Soy Proteins and Their Use in Foamed Plywood Glues” at the technical session on New Industrial Products Based on Soy Protein, American Oil Chemists’ Society 89th Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL, 1998.