1. Isolation, preservation and ultimately characterization of soybean
bradyrhizobia from soil samples collected in Vietnam.
2. Isolation, preservation and ultimately characterization of rhizobia
for native American clover species from soil samples collected predominantly
3. Characterization of rhizobia for symbiotic traits, specifically those
originating from soybean, alfalfa and clover isolated from plants grown
in imported soil samples.
4. Development of techniques in molecular biology for application to the
genetic characterization of microorganisms that interact with eukaryotic
5. Currently the focus is two-fold: i) evaluation of lateral gene transfer
and its affect on the determination of evolutionary biology of rhizobia
and related bacterial genera and ii) determination of chromosome plasticity
in Rhizobium meliloti, the symbiont of alfalfa.
6. Evaluation of protocols that have been developed as methods for the
investigation of other plant-microbe interactions.