Page Banner

United States Department of Agriculture

Agricultural Research Service

Related Topics

Aboutus
headline bar
Photo: U.S. Patent Office, ca. 1846In 1839, the Agricultural Department of the U.S. Patent Office is established to collect statistics, distribute seeds/plant and compile/distribute information.
Return to top of pagePhoto: Plan of Washington, D.C. showing new Department of Agriculture BuildingsIn 1862, the Agricultural Department of the U.S. Patent Office is established as an independent entity, the USDA. The Agriculture Building is constructed in 1867 on the Mall in Washington, DC. This Building was torn-down in the 1930's to make room for the current USDA complex on Independence Avenue.
Return to top of pagePhoto: Department of Agriculture Building 
Return to top of pagePhoto: Greenhouses, Department of Agriculture Building
Return to top of pagePhoto: Cattle on monument grounds, original Site of Veterinary Experiment Station, Washington, D.C., 1864In 1883, animal research is transferred from the Mall to the new Veterinary Experiment Station at 18th Street and Benning Road in Washington, DC. In 1897, the Veterinary Experiment Station is relocated to Bethesda, MD.
Return to top of pagePhoto: Fields: Arlington Farms Experiment Station in Arlington, VA., 1930sIn 1903, plant research is transferred from the Mall to the new Arlington Farms Experiment Station in Arlington, VA.
Return to top of pagePhoto: Building at Arlington Farms Experiment Station in Arlington, VA., 1930s
Return to top of pagePhoto: Plan of Beltsville Agricultural Research Center, 1930sIn 1910, the dairy and animal husbandry research is transferred to Beltsville, MD. Animal disease research is relocated to Beltsville in 1936.

In 1939, plant research at Arlington Farms Experiment Station is transferred to Beltsville, MD

Last Modified: 8/12/2016
Footer Content Back to Top of Page