The Cotton Pathology Research Unit (CPRU) conducts research to decrease dependency on pesticides and improve profitability of cotton production by:
- identifying and manipulating physiologically-active, naturally occurring compounds to augment disease and nematode resistance;
- acquiring information to control fundamental biological processes in cotton that enhance resistance to wilt diseases and nematodes;
- identifying ecologically vulnerable points in the behavior and biology of nematodes;
- elucidating mechanisms involved in the biocontrol of seedling diseases; and
- developing new formulations and applications for microbial biocontrol agents.