Pearl Millet Diseases: Fungicide Treatments
Fungicide Treatments for Pearl Millet Seed
The following treatments for pearl millet seed are used at
ICRISAT* Center (Ahmed
and Reddy 1993).
Recommended seed treatment to prevent transmission of downy mildew
- Soak seed for 10 min with 0.1-percent HgCl2
followed by several rinses in running water.
- Transfer seed to hot water bath at 55 °C for 12 min.
- Transfer seed to water at room temperature for a few minutes,
then transfer to incubator at 35 °C for 12 hr and then at
40 °C for 1 hr.
- Immerse seed in suspension of 2 g metalaxyl in 800 ml of
1-percent aqueous methyl cellulose for 5 to 6 hr (sufficient
for 1 kg dry pearl millet seed).
- Allow seed to dry. Treated seed can be sown immediately or
up to 4 months after treatment.
Recommended seed treatment for other pathogens
- 2.5 g benomyl + thiram (1:1) per kg of seed.
Department of Agriculture
The material on this page is in the public
Original posting: June 5, 1999.