Cotton's Path Through the
· Module feederCompacted cotton as it comes from the field
begins processing here. Video camera and moisture sensors in the feeder relay
information about color, trash, and moisture to a computer.
· DryersCotton may bypass the dryers completely or dryer
temperatures may be adjusted higher or lower, depending on instructions from
· Cylinder cleaners and stick machineOne or more stages
may be needed, depending on the intended market quality of the cotton.
· Gin standRemoves fibers from the seeds. Sensors again
relay quality information to the computer.
· Lint cleanersThe computer controls the number of
cleaners to achieve the best end quality and value.
· Bale pressSensors measure the final quality immediately
before the cotton fiber, or lint, is pressed into 500-pound bales ready for