Pacific West Area
Tree Fruit Research Laboratory
A Brief history of the Tree Fruit Research Laboratory,
1913 Research initiated by D.F. Fisher to address fire blight and powdery
mildew diseases of apple and pear. Laboratory space was developed in a
barn in south Wenatchee.
1925 Projects to address spray residues, virus diseases, and storage
and handling practices of deciduous tree fruit initiated.
1931 Office and laboratory activities consolidated to the Chelan County
courthouse annex in Wenatchee.
1940 Office and laboratory activities moved to the old post office annex
1945 Research on biennial bearing and mineral nutrition of apple initiated.
1946 Columbia View Experimental Orchard established with funds provided
by the Washington State Horticultural Association and the Washington State
Department of Agriculture.
1949 Transportation and storage facilities research initiated.
1978 Construction of current laboratory facility completed.
Some major accomplishments:
- Development of virus indexing for apple to assure virus-free planting
- Development of horticultural management systems to manipulate apple
crop load and control tree size.
- Development of polymer liners for boxes and bins to reduce fruit
- Development of postharvest practices including CO2 shock and cultivar-specific
controlled atmosphere storage protocols to optimize post-storage quality
of apples and pears.
- Development of management systems to alleviate pear fruit quality
problems related to mineral nutrition.
- Development of biologically-based soil management programs to alleviate
specific apple replant disease.
- Identification of microorganisms that are effective biocontrol agents
for control of postharvest decay and fire blight disease.
Click on image to view an enlarged version.
No photos are available at this time.