BIOHAZARDOUS SPILLS - OUTSIDE Containment (Biological Safety Cabinet)
- Alert co-workers and leave lab area immediately.
- Close door, post lab with "Do Not Enter" sign.
- Remove and put contaminated garments into a container for autoclaving.
- Wash hands/face with soap/antimicrobial agent.
- Notify PI/supervisor.
- Wait at least 30 minutes before re-entry (to allow aerosols to dissipate).
- Upon re-entry, wear PPE (disposable gown, mask, gloves, etc.).
- Carefully, pour an appropriate disinfectant solution (1:10 dilution of household bleach) around spill and cover spill with disinfectant soaked paper towels. Let stand for at least 20 minutes (taking care to not create aerosols while pouring).
- Transfer all contaminated materials into an autoclave bag.
- Wash and mop entire area with appropriate disinfectant.
- Remove & discard PPE. Autoclave.
- Shower or wash hands with soap/antimicrobial agent.
- Report incident to the BSO (Biological Safety Officer), Occupational Health and the PI (if not already contacted).
BIOHAZARDOUS SPILLS - INSIDE Containment (Biological Safety Cabinet)
- Immediately stop all work, but leave BSC blower fan on during clean-up.
- Wear PPE (gloves, lab coat, eye protection).
- Pour an appropriate disinfectant solution around spill and cover spill with disinfectant soaked paper towels.
- Using paper towels and appropriate disinfectant detergent, wipe down walls, work surfaces and equipment.
- Flood work surface & drain pan (type II, BSC) with disinfectant allow to stand at least 20 minutes.
- Wipe up all excess disinfectant.
- Autoclave all contaminated materials.
- Report incident to the PI (if not already contacted).