You are here:
Pacific West Area Home
/ Honey Bee Research
/ Current and Future Research
|Current and Future Research
1) Honey Bee Diet
- Develop a liquid protein diet to promote stronger and healthier colonies for commercial pollination, queen rearing, and overwintering.
- Develop a dry and semi solid diet formulation to provide beekeepers with alternative feeding methods.
- Identify honey bee feeding stimulants from pollen.
2) Varroa Mite Research
- Study the effect of humidity on mite development.
- Identify Varroa mite volatiles.
- Rear Varroa in Laboratory.
- Explore natural and alternative controls for Varroa.
- Control Varroa through essential oil enriched honey bee diets.
3) Africanized Honey Bees
- Improve acceptance and maintenance of European honey bee queens in areas with Africanized honey bees.
- Prevent the usurpation of European colonies by African swarms.
- Identify Africanized honey bees samples through morphometrics.
- Evaluate pollen transfer mechanisms of genetically modified plants and hybrid crops.