Application Technology Research Unit
- Dr. Jonathan Frantz receives National Award for Excellence in Technology Transfer from the Federal Laboratory Consortium
The award, presented May 3, 2012, recognizes employees of FLC member laboratories and non-laboratory staff who have accomplished outstanding work in the process of transferring federally developed technology. Dr. Frantz, and team members, Bryon Hand, Deanna Bobak, Lee Buckingham, and Erik Runkle have developed and distributed Virtual Grower Software for Greenhouse Crop Production. Virtual Grower is a decision support software program designed to assist greenhouse growers and users by predictiing heating and energy use specific to their location, greenhouse design, crops produced, and management preferences.
- Dr. Heping Zhu received the Nursery Growers of Lake Ohio's “Outstanding in the Field” Award in recognition of his Outstanding Research Service to the Nursery Industry of Lake County, Ohio. The award was presented at the Lake County Field Day on August 9, 2011.
- Dr. Heping Zhu, Dr. Charles Krause and Mr. Randy Zondag receive the National Award for Excellence in Technology Transfer from the Federal Laboratory Consortium on May 5, 2011.
The award recognizes their outstanding accomplishments in transferring comprehensive application technologies and strategies to the floral and nursery industry to reduce pesticide use and safeguard the environment. Dr. Zhu also received the 2010 Midwest Region's Federal Laboratory Consortium Award, and the 2010 USDA ARS MWA Technology Transfer Award for his accomplishments
- Dr. Heping Zhu receives Ohio Nursery & Landscape Association's (ONLA) Educator & Public Service Award
On January 25, 2011 the ONLA recognized Dr. Heping Zhu, Agricultural Engineer with the USDA ARS Application Technology Research Unit by awarding him the 2011 Educator & Public Service Award. The award recognizes outstanding educators and/or public service employees who have given their time and/or talents to benefit the Green Industry.
- Drs. Krause and Zhu participate in the International Symposium on Crop Protection in Belgium
Drs. Charles Krause and Heping Zhu, USDA, ARS, ATRU, Wooster, OH will participate in the 61st International Symposium on Crop Protection at Ghent University, Belgium during the week of May 19, 2009, and will present a paper on “off-target loss in ornamental nurseries with different spray techniques”. Dr. Zhu will also chair the Application Technology Session. After the symposium, they will give symposia and scientific presentations at KU Leuven along with discussions of mutual interest on specialty crop culture. Dr. Scott Leisner, Plant Science Research Center, University of Toledo (UT) will also participate. Researchers at the Flemish Government Institute for Agricultural and Fisheries Research – ILVO (Merelbeke), KaHo Sint Lieven, and the Proof Station and producers will exchange information with ARS and UT scientists on sustainable systems and industrial microbiology. Application technology, water quality, organic fertilizers, and pesticide reduction technology will be discussed as a basis for mutual research projects and exchanges with these institutions.
- Archived News
ARS News Articles