You are here:
Beltsville Area Home
/ Systematic Entomology
/ Specimen Preparation Guidelines: Diptera
|Specimen Preparation Guidelines: Diptera
- Most adult flies should be pinned or point-mounted.
- Nematocera and Acalyptratae may be submitted in 70% ethanol.
- All larvae and pupae should be submitted in 70% ethanol.
- If you have access to the necessary equipment, small specimens that have undergone critical point drying are preferred.
- Large submissions should be sorted by family and/or morpho-species, and all specimens should be individually labeled with collection locality data.