|Participate In A Study Evaluating Grain Products|
Who is conducting this study?
· This study is led by Nancy Keim, PhD, and colleagues at the USDA, ARS, Western Human Nutrition Research Center (WHNRC). The funding for this study comes from intramural research funds from USDA. This study has been reviewed and approved by the UCD Committee for the Protection of Human Subjects.
What is the purpose of the study?
· This research study is being conducted to evaluate the taste, liking, use, and health-promoting qualities of a variety of grain products.
Who can participate?
· We are seeking 60 healthy men and women, 20-40 years old, who are willing to incorporate a variety of grain products into their daily diet for 6 weeks.
Who is NOT eligible to participate?
· Women who are pregnant or have been within the past 6 months.
· Individuals who consume the majority of their meals away from home in restaurants or from fast food establishments.
· Individuals who have a diagnosis of type I or II diabetes mellitus, gastrointestinal diseases, including: malabsorption syndromes, chronic inflammatory disease, colorectal cancer, celiac disease (gluten sensitivity), diverticulitis, Crohns disease.
· Individuals who have recently (within 3 months) used antibiotics, appetite suppressants, mood altering medications.
· Individuals who regularly use tobacco/tobacco products.
What can I expect as a participant in this study?
· You will be interviewed by telephone to determine eligibility. If eligible, you will be scheduled for a health-screening visit at 430 West Health Sciences Drive on the UC Davis campus. During this visit, you will fill out questionnaires about your health and food intake, and we will measure your height, weight, hip and waist circumferences, blood pressure, heart rate, and temperature. We will also collect a blood sample, a breath sample, and measure your sensitivity to bitter taste by placing a small piece of filter paper on your tongue.
· If selected for the study, you will participate in a 6 week study period. Once a week you will receive a market basket of grain products at no cost consisting of: breakfast cereals, breads, snack items, and side dishes. As you use these products, you will rate how much you like them. Before you receive the market baskets, you will participate in two baseline lab visits. Various test procedures will be performed during the baseline visit, every week of the study (for 6 weeks), at the end of the 6 weeks, and two follow- up appointments at 6 months and 12 months after the study has been completed. Below is a description of these activities and procedures:
After finishing your baseline visit, you will be asked to complete the following:
* Log Books: You will be asked to keep these written records:
o A Weekly Log of all the grain products you eat (from the market basket and any others you use that week)
o A Weekly Physical Aspects Log where you will record your menstrual cycle (women), your bowel movements, and any illness you may be experiencing
o An Evaluation of Grain Products that we provide during weeks 1, 3, and 6.
* Fecal Sampling: We will provide you with a kit to collect a portion of your bowel movements, once at the beginning of the study and once at the end.
* 24-hour Dietary Recalls: Twelve times during the study we will contact you and ask you to recall all the food you ate the previous day.
L Laboratory Visits
These test sessions will be scheduled in conjunction with some o of your weekly mmarket basket pick-ups:
· Body weight, height, waist circumference, hip circumference, temperature, blood pressure, and pulse will be collected five times during the study.
· Your body composition (lean and fat tissue) will be measured using the ‘BodPod’ twice during the study.
· You will be asked to collect saliva samples four times during the study.
· Blood samples will be drawn four times during the study. No more than 2 Tablespoons (30 mL) of blood will be taken each time.
· You will be asked to give urine samples four times during the study.
· You will be asked to provide breath samples by breathing into a sample collection bag eight times during the study.
· You will be asked to evaluate grain products in regard to taste, liking, familiarity, and other properties twice during the study.
· You will be asked to participate in a panel discussion once after the 6-week grain evaluation period. The panel format is similar to a focus group.
· You will be asked to participate in a computerized evaluation of food preferences twice during the study.
* Each subject will receive a small monetary compensation of $25 paid upon completing the 6-week testing sessions. A second payment of $25 will be paid if subjects complete the testing scheduled at the 12-month follow-up visit.
What should I do if I have questions?
* Call 530-752-5177 and press #3 to leave a message. We will return your call.