Beginning in 2004, the Delta NIRI / OPRU has provided student research opportunities to aspiring students from the Lower Mississippi Delta region of Arkansas, Louisiana, and Mississippi. This program has provided graduating high school students with key job and research experiences that have promoted human nutrition research and federal career opportunities.
Through this program students have:
· Learned data collection method
· Knowledge of the Institutional Review Board Certification Process
· Skills in working with children for research studies
· Recruitment methodologies and application
· PowerPoint / Presentation Skills
· Knowledge of more healthy lifestyles
· Inventory monitoring
· Gained skills in office management
· Resume /Interview skills
As a result of this summer student program numerous students have changed their majors to nutrition or the health related fields, and/or have pursued federal career opportunities with the Delta OPRU or elsewhere.
The Delta Obesity Prevention Research Unit, not only are we making a difference in the lives that are influenced by our research – we are reaching out to the next generation of researchers through this student program.