1935 USDA Regional Research Laboratories created by Bankhead-Jones Act.
1936 Committee established by Secretary of Agriculture Henry A. Wallace recommended, among other things, a survey of trace element content of soils and study of the bioavailability to people and animals of trace elements in plants or plant products used as food or feed.
1939 Funding for the US Plant, Soil and Nutrition Laboratory approved.
1940 Leonard Maynard chosen as Laboratory Director. Building occupied and first experiments initiated.
1941 First annual report on research progress.
1946 Karl C. Hamner appointed Laboratory Director.
1948 Kenneth C. Beeson appointed Laboratory Director.
1960 William H. Allaway appointed Laboratory Director.
1963 Additional research facilities created by construction of new wing to the building.
1968 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine awarded to Dr. Robert W. Holley for the determination of the first nucleic acid sequence.
1977 Dave Moore appointed Laboratory Director.
1978 Staff of microclimatology research project incorporated into the Laboratory.
1980 Darrell R. Van Campen appointed Laboratory Director.
1982 Staff of USDA Dairy Forage Cluster at CornellUniversity incorporated into Laboratory.
1997 Leon V. Kochian appointed Laboratory Director.
2001 Center of Agricultural Bioinformatics incorporated into the Laboratory.
2003 The ARS Functional and Comparative Proteomics Facility established within the Laboratory.
2004 Funding appropriated for the design of new building to house all of the research programs within the U.S. Plant, Soil and Nutrition Laboratory.