Influence of STARS
- The Subtropical Agricultural Research Station (STARS) is unique because there is not another ARS facility doing beef cattle research in the SE and Gulf Coast region.
- Subtropical conditions provide unique problems that are addressed by other ARS beef cattle stations in temperate regions (Clay Center, NE; Miles City, MT).
- Conservatively, 35 to 40% of beef cows are located in the SE and Gulf Coast region.
- Research conducted at Brooksville benefits producers throughout the SE and Gulf Coast region.
Number of beef cows1
and estimated value of weaned calves.
||SE and Gulf Coast2
||7 FL Counties3
|Beef cow ranches
|Weaning rate 80%
|500 lb @ $1.00/lb
12007 Census of Agriculture, USDA. 2Regions 2 and 3 of 2007 Census of Agriculture. 3Citrus, Hernando, Lake, Levy, Pasco, Polk, and Sumter counties.
Florida 5th District
- Every $1 spent on agricultural research produces a $10 return to the economy (UF/IFAS, 2010).
- STARS researchers first reported genetic variation in carcass and meat traits (marbling, tenderness) among purebred Brahman cattle. These results formed the basis for estimated breeding values for carcass and meat traits for the Brahman breed. Breeders of Brahman cattle can now make informed breeding decisions that include economically important carcass and meat traits in their selection process.
- New research at STARS is designed to improve reproduction, efficiency, and carcass/meat quality in purebred Brahman cattle. This research will impact both purebred Brahman and commercial cattlemen using Brahman-influenced cattle. Thus, local cattlemen and producers throughout Florida, the SE and Gulf Coast region will be direct users of this research. Furthermore, this research should strengthen the international export market for Brahman genetics and ultimately increase beef cattle production world-wide.
- STARS research directly affects beef cattle producers, but also affects YOU the CONSUMER.
- Feed to fuel has led to increased costs for livestock feeds. Supermarket prices?
- The cattle industry not only provides a safe affordable, and abundant meat supply for US consumers and the world, but provides green space, wildlife habitat, water recharge, is environmentally friendly (responsible), preserves rural America, and its lifestyle.
2007 Census of Agriculture
|No. of farm operators
|No. of farms
|Land in farms
|Value Ag prod sold
|Sales cattle calves